I do not seek inspiration or wait around hoping it will find me.
Sometimes it just shows up, performing an aerial glomp.

Saturday, July 24, 2010

4x6: Marbled Flowers. Painted July 23, 2010


4x6: Marbled Flowers
Originally uploaded by diannna-art
Acrylic paint on 4 x 6,
gesso-primed canvas panel.
I missed painting, but things kept me away for a while. I missed the sensation of moving paint to produce an image, emotion or daydream from my mind. Since a large project was finally completed.. I have time again.

I was going to use one of my stretch canvases, but my mother pointed out my stash of small canvas boards. So I ended up using one of those. I used titanium white as a base and let it dry for a while. If canvas was a waffle and paint was syrup.. I liked to fill all the valleys with syrup if I can.

Once the base coat was dry I added dioxazine purple and covered the canvas again, before adding quinacridone magenta to the still wet paint. Instead of paint brushes, I used scrap glossy paper used a motion that reminded me of spackling which was fun. Then I used the same paper to pat at the surface, creating the texture. I kept adding small blobs of paint to move color where I wanted it. I chose the purple and magenta, because they remind me of flowers that used to be in my backyard. The touch of white was to add a bit more contrast. When I patted in the white, I felt that it added to the flower feeling I was going for.

When trying to decide on a final title for this piece, I showed my mother and she told me it looked more like marble to her, than flowers. So I decided on Marbled Flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment