I do not seek inspiration or wait around hoping it will find me.
Sometimes it just shows up, performing an aerial glomp.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

ACEO: BW Abstract Tree/Buildings: Painted Feb. 20, 2010


ACEO: BW Abstract Tree/Buildings
Originally uploaded by diannna-art
Acrylic paint on 2 1/2 x 3 1/2,
110# Canson Acid Free acrylic paper.
When visiting Oslo, Norway.. I was not certain if my black and white paint would survive the flight. I had no idea what air pressure would do the tubes. I had the paint in a plastic bag, just in case.

The days went by so quickly, and I knew I wanted to try to paint something in Oslo, but I experienced a painting version of writers block. It was only after visiting a museum displaying Edvard Munch's work, that I decided to not stress about subject, but play with brushstrokes. When looking at some of his paintings, I leaned in really close and loved how the paint seemed to flow. I sometimes noticed this much more than the full subject of the pieces I was observing.

With about six to eight hours before I would have to leave the hotel to return to the US, I decided to look out the window and create what I saw while only experimenting in the type of brushstrokes I liked best in Edvard Munch's work.

This is a tree with some buildings behind it.. however the focus is the way the paint moves like it is not dry yet. A purely elemental capture of wind and liquid-like movement. I do not know if I will attempt this sort of experiment again, but it was definitely interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment