I do not seek inspiration or wait around hoping it will find me.
Sometimes it just shows up, performing an aerial glomp.

Thursday, January 7, 2010

ACEO Sailboat: Painted Jan 6, 2010


ACEO Sailboat
Originally uploaded by diannna-art
Acrylic paint on 2 1/2 x 3 1/2,
110# Georgia Pacific smooth cardstock.
Earlier in the day I had sent my mother a photo of a daytime beach scene painting I had created just to play with clouds and water. Much of it did not come out the way I planned/wanted. But I liked the clouds. And a tiny sailboat on the horizon amuses me. I received constructive criticism that really helped me to think of how to make things better in my next painting(s).

I was told: No matter how rough the water is, along the horizon is straight. (In the other painting the horizon was a curved mess.. but again.. I liked the clouds)

And so, keeping just the idea of a sailboat on the water, I tested the idea on a blank card. I looked up images online and tried to remember my father's boat. I did not want the boat to be as abstract as before.

I used the brush I have been trying to figure out how to sign my name with (writing in paint is not as easy for me, for some reason) and let the boat come to life. The sky is a mixture of paint colors trying to form a hazy purple twilight. The boat looks so calm, I imagine there are tiny acrylic people gently sleeping within.

No comments:

Post a Comment