I do not seek inspiration or wait around hoping it will find me.
Sometimes it just shows up, performing an aerial glomp.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

ACEO: Waning Crescent: Completed September 16, 2010


ACEO: Waning Crescent
Originally uploaded by diannna-art
Acrylic paint on 2 1/2" x 3 1/2",
246# Strathmore Acid Free acrylic paper.
In the past, I painted a Waxing Gibbous and decided I wanted to revisit the idea. This time I would switch which part was light with the part was dark.. turning a Waxing Gibbous into a Waning Crescent moon.

On September 15th, I covered the art card with Mars Black and let it sit overnight to dry thoroughly. The next day, I put Titanium White on a toothbrush put aside just for painting. (I realized I did not have a toothbrush for this in NY yet, and my Mother gave me a spare to add to my NY brush collection. Thanks Mom!) Just like in elementary school.. I used the pad of my finger to brush at the bristles and star-like splatters formed.

In some areas, I went over the stars with Mars Black and splattered over it again, causing a variety in the density of the stars in the sky. Once the card was dry, I placed a US penny on the art card to help determine a location before painting a circle with Burnt Umber. Burnt Umber was mixed with Titanium White to create different shades while I worked on the dim side of the moon. The dim side is the part that catches my curiosity and made me want to work all the more carefully on those details. The Crescent was painted with Titanium White over a portion of the moon, making it the brightest section.

No comments:

Post a Comment