I do not seek inspiration or wait around hoping it will find me.
Sometimes it just shows up, performing an aerial glomp.

Sunday, August 15, 2010

~9x6: Silver In The Sky: Painted August 15, 2010


~9x6: Silver In The Sky
Originally uploaded by diannna-art
Acrylic paint on a (approx) 9 x 6 piece of
denim cut from an old pair of jeans.
I have a few pairs of jeans that are too torn to wear or donate to others. I had thought about trying to make paper from them, but never got it. Painting on them was something else I just never got around to trying, until today.

In 2008, I accidentally got some acrylic paint on a pair of jeans and discovered no matter how many times they went through the wash.. that spot never went away. It made me think that if I painted on jeans.. the painting will last.

Today I cut a piece of my jeans and decided to give it a try. First, I painted the section with Mars Black. I have only the tiniest bit of white left and knew it would not cover the section. (Time to buy new paint!) Then, I let it dry almost all the way before I mixed in some Quinacridone Magenta, directly on the denim. A hint of Titanium White was added to try to improve the contrast.. but the white is at the very end of the tube. (Think of someone squeezing out the last bit of toothpaste.. except it is paint.)

I waited around. Started another ACEO. It took a while for the paint to dry enough that it was at the nearly-dry, but-still-tacky-to-the-touch stage. I added the full moon and plenty of stars with Silver metallic paint. Then, with a smaller brush, I swept some more black and magenta across some stars, completing the illusion of an evening with wispy clouds and silver in the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment